Pin it!

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Easy Peasy Homeschool Review

Ha, I am back. I kept to my promise and I am posting again. So, in my last post, I mentioned that I am home schooling all five kids. I have had many comments from people that are amazed that I do this. When the other three came, I already had a few years under my belt. I just worked them into what we were already doing.

Jonaya is pretty independent. It is not very often then she needs help. When she does have questions, she has her dad and Google. She is an avid reader, so she learns best with text over video.

Sterling and Ian are both doing 5th grade. When I started with Sterling he was behind in a lot of areas. I have kept working with him and in the summer we do a lot of review. He is now excelling in all subjects.

Ian is ahead a grade because I started him early with him having a November birthday. He is right where he needs to be, but gets lazy when it comes to reading.

Tierney was also behind when she came. At three years old, she still didn't know all of her colors. I worked with her through reading and play and she started catching on.

Sean has been right on target, so I have pushed him up a grade to work with Tierney at her level. They are both excellent readers for their age. Some of the words that they read surprises me still. They just learned how to read together last year.

OK, this is supposed to be a review, but I just wanted to explain where I was coming from. I use Easy Peasy All-in-one homeschool for their curriculum. Everything that I need is all online. She covers preschool all the way through high school. Here is the best part. It's completely free! I know, right?

Homeschooling five kids has me on a tight budget. I read all of these other blogs and parents have their kids on these wonderful curriculum. Don't get me wrong, they do look great, but we can't roll like that.

With Easy Peasy, I can easily access what my kids are doing for the day all in one place. I don't even have to lesson plan. It's done for me.

Easy Peasy Education

You may be wondering, can I really give my kids a good education with a free online curriculum? The answer is,"Yes." All of the subjects and reading is challenging and just above their grade level that is listed. It is intended to be college preparatory. It is not too intensive that they can't do it, but it is challenging.

You can do half of the day's school work together with lower grade levels, first through fourth and higher grade levels, fifth through eighth. High school is on a separate page and we are not quite there yet. These subjects include Bible, science, history, art, music and physical education. This is great to give a classroom atmosphere for large families and also saves on time.

What Do I Need To Start?

There is not very much you need to do to prepare ahead of time. There is a recommended supply list that you can use to shop at the beginning of the year. For the younger grades, there are a lot of print outs and lap books. I usually do a weeks worth and put it in a folder, so it doesn't slow us down. There is also an option to purchase work books through the website with everything already printed for you, if you don't want to fool with this. If you choose, this option, that will be a small investment for each book.

What If It's Not Enough?

There are many families that will supplement with other materials for some of the subjects. For example, there are not a lot of math problems. You can get an extra workbook or find more practice materials online.

We haven't done much of that this year, but I have the resources if I need to. Some days we can be done right around lunch time and others we are still working while the public school kids are getting off of the bus. It just depends on what else we have going on and their moods. I don't stress, as long as their work is done by the end of the week, it's all good. They can do school five days a week or get it all done at the beginning of the week and take the rest of the week off. "Don't sweat the small stuff," right?

Would I Recommend This Curriculum?

I would definitely recommend this curriculum, especially if you are new to home school. There is no guess work involved. Everything is right there for you. Unless, there is some drastic change, I see myself using this curriculum for years to come. I have my kids tested every year, to be sure we are still on the right track. they all test above their grade level, so I think this is a winner.

Do you use Easy Peasy, too? I would love to know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Desiree, as usual.....you always amaze me!
    Keep up the good work, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete