Pin it!

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Playing in The Dirt



This was our garden a few weeks ago (about 1 month) when we first had it tilled. We were so excited because the soil was so rich and it has the perfect combination of dirt and sand.

We rushed out and bought seeds, so we could get them in the ground. We did already have some tomatoes, cabbage, and peppers growing in one of those plastic green houses that you buy at Wal-mart.

I had planned on the gardening being part of Jonaya's summer school curriculum. It seems as though she has already lost interest. I guess she didn't realize how much work was going to be involved. I'm hoping when it's time to harvest she will regain interest.



This picture was taken today. I spent the whole morning weeding. I never realized how much I would enjoy being out there. I get some great prayer time just being out there playing in the dirt and seeing how rich we are with all that we have.

We are growing tomatoes, zucchini, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, carrots, green beans, corn, cabbage, peppers, peas, and cucumber. If we are lucky, we may even have garlic. Those were put in the ground too late, though. Oh, there are potatoes, too. That is another experiment. Those aren't in the actual garden. They are off to the right of the garden.

I'm impressed with what has grown so far. I don't have any blooms yet. I'm excited to go into the next stage of gardening.

This is my first garden. I think another reason that I'm enjoying it so much is because I'm finally putting down some roots.

We have had a hard time keep Ian out of there. He will go in and just walk on the plants. I tried to show him where to walk and it's just not working. I finally gave up. I'm so thankful that we can have a garden and we have planted more than our family can eat, so why get upset over a few trampled on plants. That is part of the joys of having kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment